WHAT IS YOUR PERCEPTION OF BEAUTY?

Reflecting back over the last 22 years of being part of this fascinating and revolving industry, I've got to say fitness has changed and I'm loving it!!!

Starting out back in the early 1990's in my fitness career, my main goal was to be skinny by doing A LOT of aerobic training and watching every morsel of food and calculating every calorie consumed. By days end, I was so mentally exhausted worrying about things I couldn't control that both my relationships and my school work to a backseat in my life. To look a certain way, my body was fighting it and therefore my homeostatic functions ceased - it was very detrimental. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. On a side note, my choice of giving up late nights of partying, drinking, and eating crap food for early mornings of  dedication and discipline I will never regret.

If it wasn't for the boom of research on the Benefits of Women & Strength Training and many Women On Weights (WOW) classes popping up in many gyms and clubs all over I still would have believed that 100 lbs of nothing was beauty.

I took to weights quickly and loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
 I loved the "pump" it gave me, the challenge of lifting a certain workload more than the last time, and working out with the guys in a "gym like" setting was absolutely a thrill to be part of. Lifting heavy weights, doing power exercise, and running 1/2 marathons to full marathons help me create a true fit physique that I was proud of.

Fast forward many years later, I'm happy to see this is true for many females today. That their perception of beauty and of fitness is not being 100lbs it's not being skin & bones and it's not counting every single drop of food eaten. I believe females today don't want to lose their butts and boobs- they want to keep their curves and embrace muscular legs, hips, and thighs and shoulders!

 There's nothing wrong with keeping a food log. It allows you to reflect back at what you've eaten in a day, a week, or a month to see what may or may not be working for you and help you make adjustments to your diet. A food log should not be used to see the number of calories you consumed and how many calories you therefore need to burn off. Don't let it control you. Be mindful of using food journals and it will be a good experience with positive outcomes.
Here's the thing, if your heart rate is elevated, you are sweating, your feel that 'burn" and your feel somewhat exhausted at the end of your workout, pat yourself on the back - you did something good for your health, your mind, your body! Your physique will change it will become what you want it to be once you stop the obsessing & worrying.

Knowing your body can more than you ever thought possible, setting performance goals and attaining them is the reward. This fact carries over to everything in your life and for females, this is huge!!!Working out builds confidence, it builds that belief system in ourselves, and it allows us to trust that innate instinct females have.

Do what you love - whether it's high mileage running, lots of aerobic exercise, power training, resistance training  or little bit of everything - live it. Be proud of what your body can do accept and embrace your physique and workout to be strong and to be fit, everything else will fall into place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July Is Here!!!