Trail Mix

I was asked by a few of you to post the trail mix recipe that I brought in for the Basic Training League this past Saturday and with alot of leftovers, some of you in other classes were able to sample it.

First, I'm glad you liked it. Trail mix use to be a staple in my diet when I was doing high - mileage marthon training and just running alot more miles than I am now. I would put together a mixture of lots of different dried fruits, nuts, berries, seeds, carobs, etc. With the high mileage running I was also burning off lots of Kcals. My point, trail mix is a high-calorie snack and if you are not burning off alot of Kcals through exercise, you have to watch your portions carefully. That is why I brought in those little pink cups to show  you all the exact portion size, the right amount of Kcals postworkout that also contain the right balance of macronutrients.

My overall goal as your fitness expert and trainer is to empower you all to have better control of how much you eat - portions - and to understand the difference between hunger (physiological response) and appetite (social). My goal is to give you examples of when to eat your starches to refuel muscle glycogen and when to take in protein to repain & rebuild tissue. And, my goal is to help you recognize what triggers cravings, addictions, and overindulging. Again, alot of it has to do with what to eat, when to eat, & how much at one time.....brain chemicals and the release of certain hormones play a critical role in all of those.

So, my goal is not to provide too many recipes if that was the case I would offer a cooking class and how silly is that....I will continue sharing healthy recipes every now and then.

I would much rather educate and demonstrate proper nutrition and share realistic ideas on eating in the real world and what to do when countermotivation occurs.

Here is something I can recommend and something I know that works because science backs it up as well as my own experiecne:
  •  Grazing, although hard for some, allows your blood sugar levels to stabilize throughout the day and therefore helps control cravings.
  • Don't starve...plan & prepare ahead of time so that you always have something.
  • Eat a carb source preworkout, especially aerobic & endurance activities.
  • Refuel 30 minutes postworkout with at least 20-24 g protein..containing all amino acids.
  • Refuel postworkout with some source of starch or whole grain 60 minutes or more to get glycogen back into the muscle and prepare the body for its next workout.
  • Drink plenty of water when consuming more protein...your body has more nitrogen and can be toxic if too much
  • Eat a food source that contains casein prior to bed if you are an early morning exerciser. The casein mixes with the hydrochloric acids in your stomach creating a paste and slows down stomach emptying overnight.
Ok, here is what I threw together for the Trail Mix
  • Cascadian Farm Dark Chocolate Almond GRANOLA
  • Pumpkin Seeds (salted)
  • White chocolate chip morsels
  • Dried cranberries & blueberries
  • Whole Almonds (unsalted)
  • Dried Apricots
  • White Raisins
  • Sunflower Seeds (unsalted)

Check out the cups at the studio. That is your serving size. Throw that on top of some GREEK yogurt ( 90 Kcals) and you have a great meal that is the right balance of macro nutrients.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July Is Here!!!

PROTEIN